VirtualBox is an open source cross-platform virtualization software, it can be installed on any operating system and enable you to install and run multiple guests operating systems on the same computer.
From version 2.0 VirtualBox supports 32 and 64bit host and guest operating systems. If you want to install 64bit guests then your processor must support hardware virtualization and, of course, the host operating system must be 64bit as well.
VirtualBox is released under GPL v2 and Oracle VM VirtualBox extension pack is released under PUEL (Personal Use and Evaluation License).
This guide explains how to install VirtualBox 6.0 on Linux Mint 18 / Linux Mint 19.
What’s new in Virtualbox 6.0
- Added support for exporting a virtual machine to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.
- A much improved HiDPI and scaling support, along with superior detection and per-machine configuration.
- A Major rework of user interface with smooth and easy setup of virtual machines.
- A new file manager allows user to manage the guest file system and copy files between host and guest.
- A major update of 3D graphics device emulation on Linux guests.
- vboximg-mount utility for hosts enables users to access the content of guest disks on the host.
- Added support for using Hyper-V on Windows host.
You can see the complete new change log details about VirtualBox 6.0 on their Official Changelog Page.
Install VirtualBox 6.0 on Linux Mint 19
Open up a terminal and Import the public key of the Oracle VirtualBox repository to your system.
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
Add the VirtualBox repository using the following command.
### Linux Mint 19 ### echo "deb [arch=amd64] http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian bionic contrib" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list ### Linux Mint 18 ### echo "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian xenial contrib" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list
Now all that’s left is to update the APT cache.
sudo apt-get update
Install the VirtualBox using the apt command.
sudo apt-get install -y virtualbox-6.0
Now, you can launch it from the main menu.
Start VirtualBox (on Cinnamon desktop): Menu -> Administration -> Oracle VM VirtualBox.
When you run Virtualbox 6, the first thing you’ll see is the following.
That’s all! In this article, we have shown how to install VirtualBox 6.0 in Linux Mint 18 / Linux Mint 19. You can ask questions or share your thoughts with us via the feedback form below.